As one of the earliest forms of argand lighting, these silver-plated argands survive as a classic example of the collaboration between Ami Argand and Matthew Boulton. This model appears in Boulton’s sales catalog as no. 10569. The elegant font is reeded with an applied classical wave band. The burners are restored to working order. The standard is subtlety fluted with delicate scrolled decoration. The four-sided plinths are beautifully detailed with beading and guilloche decoration while the lamps are raised on tapering feet.
Reference: Wolfe, John J. Brandy, Balloons, & Lamps, Ami Argand, 1750-1803. Carbondale and Edwardsville, Illinois, Southern Illinois University Press, 1999. page 145, plate 10.4.
Silver fused to copper, tin, and glass
Height: 25½” Width: 12½”
Back to Archive