Gothic Revival Girandoles
Labeled W.F. SHAW/270 WASH'N ST/BOSTON/PATENT/DEC 18 1849
Exquisitely detailed, this three-part set of gothic revival girandoles retain their original rich two-tone gilt lacquered finish. The double stepped base and the decorated prisms are indicative of a more sophisticated model than was usually offered. The prism rings are composed of cast grape vines and clusters. This pattern is referred to as the Bigelow Chapel model and is named after the chapel at the Mount Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The cemetery was America’s first non-sectarian burying ground. The maker, William F. Shaw, was one of Boston’s premier lighting manufacturers from about 1845 to 1900.
Reference: Feld, Elizabeth & Stuart P. In Pointed Style, The Gothic Revival in America, 1800-1860. Hirschl & Adler Galleries, New York. 2006. Page 118, plate 62.
Brass and glass
Height of 3-light: 17¾” Single Light: 15¼”
Back to All Products